Reading this @StateDept press release on @SecPompeo 's meetings in the Koreas: 1) What did we give up to get the North Koreans to refrain from calling @SecPompeo a gangster this time?
2) Why are we second Summiting when we haven't achieved the meat of what we wanted out of the first? If a "historic" Singapore Summit just led to red herrings, why further normalize Kim with a second?
Oct 4, 2018 • 4 tweets • 2 min read
Heading onto @cnni to speak with @RobynCurnowCNN about why not all election interference is created equal. @VP speech today was a dangerous use of time and attention. All it takes is some overt propaganda in local newspapers and @WhiteHouse refocuses its election meddling ire
.@VP did cite covert action, front groups, and propaganda in his speech - in my experience you don't publicly reference covert action unless there's been a substantial discussion with the IC about publicizing this info.
Sep 29, 2018 • 5 tweets • 2 min read
Prepping for my discussion tonight with @secupp and want to highlight this section of @realDonaldTrump 's UNGA speech: "The United States is the world’s largest giver in the world, by far, of foreign aid. But few give anything to us."
The US foreign assistance budget is designed around where assistance is needed. We consistently review needs to make sure our $s are well spent, but we have not, to date, used $ to buy something in return. We have used foreign assistance to ease suffering, grow economies, + more
Sep 26, 2018 • 5 tweets • 2 min read
I am a woman and I am “angry” - anyone else?
.@AshaRangappa_ and I are speaking about what “security” means to us, as women, this afternoon. What a day to be having this conversation. We should be having it every day.
Sep 26, 2018 • 4 tweets • 2 min read
.@realDonaldTrump just mixed up alleged Iran and North Korea hostage payment reporting.
He also gave us a “readout” of topics discussed during his 1:1 with Putin — no mention of election meddling - but there wasn’t anyone else in the room so ....
Sep 26, 2018 • 6 tweets • 1 min read
Who will get the last laugh at this @realDonaldTrump presser? Head to @CNNSitRoom to find out
Well it looks like the media factually speaking. They just laughed.
Sep 26, 2018 • 8 tweets • 4 min read
.@realDonaldTrump focus on CW smart -- wonder if he will mention that KJU has a large CW stockpile and used CW against his brother-in-law?
Did I just see @EmmanuelMacron looking over his notes vs. listening to @POTUS ?
2) it’s all about the Benjamins but more money more problems — Bc @realDonaldTrump thinks we pay too much for everything and get nothing in return. Btw @UN contributions are determined by a specific formula related to GNI and per capita income ...
Sep 21, 2018 • 11 tweets • 4 min read
late to #TBT but wanted to throw abt 12 months back to the inaugural @realDonaldTrump speech to the @UN GA 1) "Rogue regimes represented in this body not only support terrorists but threaten other nations and their own people with the most destructive weapons known to humanity."
2) That "rogue regime" is still represented @UN . is still sanctioned by @UN , Russia and China are still helping that rogue regime violate sanctions, and they STILL have the most destructive weapons known to humanity BUT
Sep 20, 2018 • 4 tweets • 3 min read
Kavanugh hearing (maybe?) + @UN General Assembly next week. Both fora should have a fair, honest discussion on sexual assault but unlikely 2 times over? "On the world stage, the United Nations takes an uncompromising stance on sexual abuse, trumpeting a “zero tolerance” policy
for infractions by its employees and condemning rape laws that require a woman to show injuries to prove that she did not consent. But within the United Nations itself, the system for examining sexual misconduct by employees is so inconsistent that investigators sometimes use
Sep 17, 2018 • 5 tweets • 2 min read
4th Moon / Kim meeting tomorrow and you have to figure they will be coordinating on how to get US to agree to their joint desire for a Korean War peace treaty via @nytimesnyti.ms/2D3AE14
This is one time we should make war, not peace, for now via @CNNcnn.com/2018/09/16/opi…
Sep 14, 2018 • 7 tweets • 9 min read
@realDonaldTrump 1. @realDonaldTrump tweeting about a private citizen meeting with a foreign government is literally unbelievable
@realDonaldTrump 2. Does @POTUS actually not know what FARA / foreign agents registration act? Has nothing to do with meeting with foreigners.
Sep 12, 2018 • 4 tweets • 1 min read
1. Abe and Xi meet, in Russia, on the sidelines of a Russian conference while Russia/ China/ Mongola have 300K joint mil exercises underway bloomberg.com/news/articles/… via @bpolitics2. Putin will take credit for this diplomatic thaw/ mediating through the Xi/ Abe tensions
Sep 9, 2018 • 4 tweets • 3 min read
Heading to the Weekend Presidential Briefing with @CNN@EricaRHill - tune in shortly!
We discussed 1) why there was no rain on Kim's parade today and why @JamesCarville was right - it's the North Korean economy, stupid
Each denial warrants a shot because each denial shows what our @WhiteHouse is focused on + how paranoid @realDonaldTrump is that these officials feel the need to publicly placate him. Every denial, another round of attention, another shot for a confused and less credible WH, +
Sep 2, 2018 • 4 tweets • 2 min read
Heading over to @CNN for the Weekend Presidential Briefing with @AnaCabrera — get ready for some Russian assets, @GameOfThrones and info on the hottest Asian capital this month. Tune in at 7:45
Putin's big show, King of the North, and Kim's moving full steam ahead -- see you next weekend app.frame.io/presentations/…
Aug 30, 2018 • 4 tweets • 3 min read
Heading on @CNN to talk play true or false on North Korea, China, and what’s replaced our maximum pressure campaign. @ryanobles coming your way
1. The @WhiteHouse@Twitter statement yesterday, released by @realDonaldTrump , was chock full of nuts and inaccuracies. We have not to date suspended our joint mil exercises with Japan, for starters.
Aug 25, 2018 • 4 tweets • 2 min read
Going to do some Russia Resetting with @CNN@NewDay at 10:40 -- hope you'll tune in to hear our breakdown of what to expect from Putin's playbook, and how he's getting inside help on his mission against us without even asking for it. Can you guess from whom?
1) playing with childrens' health, tanking think tanks and the @nytimes reporting on Kremlin sources going dark:
Aug 24, 2018 • 14 tweets • 5 min read
1. Smart move by @POTUS - @SecPompeo going to DPRK with no real progress made would waste his time and would have let the North Koreans know that we will "negotiate" endlessly (and not take other action against them)