War survivor | Presidential campaign adviser | Jazz keyboardist | Chart-topping remixer | @LeelaDaou's husband | More: https://t.co/ZxMURuhleQ
2 added to My Authors
Oct 6, 2018 • 10 tweets • 4 min read
THREAD―FAILED STRATEGY: HOW DEM LEADERS BUNGLED #Kavanaugh
I'm seeing a lot of blame going around so I want to provide some clarity on what I believe Dems did wrong. First and foremost, they failed to realize that the GOP would use their majority to seat Kavanaugh AT ALL COSTS.
Understanding that the GOP would not settle for anything less than Justice Kavanaugh, Democrats should have walked out of what they called a "charade" and a "sham." When you call something a sham and then participate in it, you're legitimizing it.
Sep 22, 2018 • 4 tweets • 3 min read
This was one of the most shameful segments to run on @CNN. A hit job on #ProfessorFord with no counterbalance to reflect public opinion.
I'm a proud Democrat, the party that sides WITH sexual assault victims, the party that believes girls and women, the party that trusts them and protects their rights.
To every rightwinger who responds by naming Democrats who have been accused of sexual assault and harassment over the years, YES, I default to believing the accuser.
Sep 6, 2018 • 5 tweets • 4 min read
THREAD: WALK OUT, DEMOCRATS.
Dems should refuse to participate in what they've called "sham" #KavanaughHearings. They should release a joint statement that if #MerrickGarland was blocked FOR NO REASON, the #lodestar insurrection bars Trump from making lifetime appointments.
Yes, @KamalaHarris asked good questions. But that only sets up the narrative that #Kavanaugh was confirmed "despite a tough nomination process." He's being legitimized by this process. The GOP is pushing him through no matter what Dems do, so TAKE A STAND. Refuse to play along.
Sep 5, 2018 • 5 tweets • 3 min read
THREAD: WALK OUT, DEMOCRATS
I said this yesterday and I'll say it again today: Democrats are legitimizing #Kavanaugh by not walking out.
They should release a joint statement that until the #Mueller and #Cohen matters are resolved, Trump cannot appoint a #SCOTUS justice.
The GOP is hellbent on pushing the #KavanaughConfirmation through. If Democrats walked out and he were seated, he'd have far LESS legitimacy on the bench than if they went through the motions of what they called a "sham" proceeding.
Aug 23, 2018 • 4 tweets • 2 min read
OK, rightwingers you want to talk logic? How about this: If keeping out all immigrants will prevent all immigrant crime, then taking away all guns will prevent all school massacres. Want to go with that argument?
Bottom line: stop exploiting #MollieTibbetts
"Most research says crime tends to decrease in areas where immigrants settle, whether they’re in the country legally or illegally." washingtonpost.com/news/fact-chec… My issue is with the right's inordinate focus on crimes by undocumented immigrants, while shrugging at school massacres.
Aug 22, 2018 • 5 tweets • 3 min read
You are EXPLOITING this tragedy. Her family deserves compassion. Her evil killer deserves justice. By making it about immigration, you're USING a victim. Have you done this with: Makiyah Wilson, 10; Kayden Mancuso, 7; Nia Wilson, 18; Casey Nicole Kizer, 17; Megan L Metzger, 19?
As news breaks about Trump being implicated by #MichaelCohen in a crime, Mike Pence, Fox News, and others on the right are cynically exploiting the heinous murder of #MollieTibbetts. An evil monster killed her. An undocumented immigrant. I hope justice is swiftly served.
#MollieTibbetts' family deserves our respect, thoughts, prayers, and condolences. What they do NOT deserve is to be used as pawns to make a political point about immigration, to stoke xenophobia, to drum up fear and bigotry.
Jul 19, 2018 • 5 tweets • 2 min read
THREAD: THE TRUE MOTIVES OF TRUMP VOTERS
An @axios poll finds that 8 out of 10 Republicans support Trump's behavior at the #TreasonSummit. Axios then writes: His "superpower-like hold over the minds of Republican voters seems invincible."
What a joke. Here's the truth...
THREAD: THE TRUE MOTIVES OF TRUMP VOTERS
This isn't about political convictions or Trump's "superpower-like hold," as Axios claims. It's this: Republican voters have been programmed by hate radio and Fox News to STICK IT TO THE LIBS. Even at their OWN expense. Self-immolation.
Jun 28, 2018 • 11 tweets • 3 min read
THREAD: GET READY, IT'S GOING TO GET MUCH WORSE
Friends and followers, since early last year I've been warning not to underestimate Trump's uncanny ability to mold reality to his will. History is replete with authoritarian figures who can do this, and it NEVER ends well.
THREAD: Get ready...
The midterms are a chance to build a firewall against encroaching fascism by giving Democrats congressional majorities. It could happen if just a fraction of non-voters showed up. We should do everything possible to make that happen. But...
Jun 16, 2018 • 15 tweets • 4 min read
THREAD: WHY I'M CALLING OUT DEMOCRATS (1/15)
In recent days I've spoken out about the Democratic Party's failure to rise to the gravity and intensity of this dangerous moment in American history. My words seem to have resonated but also raised questions.
I've done a lot of soul searching over the past two years about my staunch support for Hillary Clinton, my harsh critique of Bernie Sanders, and my unwavering support for the Democratic Party. It's NOT how I started my political career.
Jun 16, 2018 • 6 tweets • 2 min read
HONESTY: I don't see the Democratic Party rising to the level of intensity and resistance required by these times. The GOP sees that and is running roughshod over American norms and values. STEP IT UP DEMS. You were elected to protect the Constitution.
DEM LEADERS: Hold a die-in at the Capitol. Walk out en masse. Go on a hunger strike. Try every procedural maneuver in the book. Swarm the media with a unified message that America will not go down this ugly path. DO SOMETHING.
Dec 29, 2017 • 10 tweets • 2 min read
1. THREAD: What does it mean to be American?
I've posted several recent tweets about the difficult process of grappling with my mixed Lebanese-American identity in the Trump era. It's the culmination of two years that have been a shock to the system for all of us... (1/10)
2. I'm increasingly questioning my assumptions about the future (and present) of our nation. Who are we as a people? How have we reached a point where children being slaughtered in schools and churches is tolerated? Where healthcare for the poor/sick funds tax cuts for the rich?
Since Sanders diehards are determined to hijack the @DNC and torpedo other 2020 contenders, and since he refuses to become a Democrat but wants to hog their spotlight and attack them, let's take a closer look at who this man is. (1/10)
2. The REAL Bernie Sanders:
First elected with NRA help, then repeatedly voted WITH the gun lobby. Opposed the Brady Bill five times.
Co-sponsored and aggressively pushed a bill to dump Vermont's radioactive waste on the low-income Latino community of #SierraBlanca, Texas.
Nov 3, 2017 • 5 tweets • 1 min read
1. THREAD: JUST WOW. Look at the memo below. The entire Hillary "rigged" narrative blew up today. So will anyone face consequences?
2. #DonnaBrazile insists she "never" said Hillary rigged the primary. But has anyone reported that, let alone wildly and breathlessly?
Nov 3, 2017 • 5 tweets • 2 min read
1. THREAD for fellow Hillary voters: I know you feel betrayed today. You're furious that people who should know better gave Trump a gift...
2. You're deeply frustrated with #DonnaBrazile, @elizabethforma, leftist Hillary-haters and the Russian trolls amplifying Dem disagreements.
Oct 21, 2017 • 5 tweets • 1 min read
1. THREAD: The mainstream media now treat every Steve Bannon utterance as major news. They are consciously boosting his stature.
2. While they prop up Bannon and treat him with deference, they cover Hillary Clinton like an outcast, barely concealing their disdain.
Oct 10, 2017 • 11 tweets • 4 min read
1. THREAD: Hey GOP & media, you want to talk outrage? You want to talk disrespecting the flag? You want to talk values? I brought receipts.
2. WHERE'S YOUR OUTRAGE?? When women's rights are under assault... verrit.com/gop-wages-mult…
Sep 24, 2017 • 7 tweets • 4 min read
1. THREAD: We're told #TakeAKnee is "disrespecting our flag." But let's get real about what it REALLY means to disrespect the American flag.
2. "Disrespecting our flag" is GOP policies that target the most vulnerable Americans. verrit.com/the-republican…#TakeAKnee
Sep 9, 2017 • 10 tweets • 2 min read
1. THREAD. What is it about Hillary voters that makes the mainstream media desperately want to silence and invisibilize them? (1/10)
2. Start with this conclusion from Harvard's research: Mainstream Media Acted as Trump’s Mouthpiece, Clinton’s Foe verrit.com/harvard-study-…
Sep 6, 2017 • 15 tweets • 4 min read
1. THREAD. THE @Verrit BACKSTORY: How we harnessed Hillary hate and redirected negative energy to promote a positive media startup. (1/15)
2. When @Verrit was conceived as a sanctuary for Hillary voters, we anticipated 3 things from her haters: Attacks. Hacks. Childish mockery.