Here’s a test for the antichoice campaigners that come knocking on your door. Ask em if they believe abortion is murder. They’ll mainly say yes. #together4yes #8thref #repealthe8th ➡️
Now ask if they believe a 14 years sentence is enough for a girl taking an abortion pill, or if the full mandatory life sentence for murder should be the maximum term. Now watch them scramble. ➡️
So far I’ve found it goes one of these ways: a) the old reliable side step that they also use for the rape question. ➡️
B) the “doctors are evil” argument. No, we’d punish the abortionists. Don’t let em off that easy. Ask if a woman takes a pill at home, should she be punished as she’s the abortionist? ➡️
If they go with “then we’d punish the pill providers” point out that the abortion pill is actually a legal medicine used for miscarriage management. You wouldn’t blame a knife manufacturer if someone chose to use their knife illegally would you? ➡️
D) they’ll just go with “the no campaign doesn’t ever advocate punishing women.” This is my favourite one. Ask them why? Is it not a life equal to my own? Or do you believe no murderer should be punished in general? ➡️
“The woman has suffered enough she’s a victim of society, she should get help/prayers/support instead of punishment”. Hey, maybe Bill the axe murderer also was a victim of society, should be let him back out in the streets? Isn’t living with his crime punishment enough? ➡️
I managed to skip C so here it is- the rare breed of pro lifer who genuinely actually does believe it’s a life from conception and yes it should be treated as murder. They are the most logical in that their views are completely consistent. ➡️
I mean, I don’t agree with them, but it’s consistent. But the majority of antichoicers I’ve come across throw around terms like “killing babies” or “extermination” but they don’t actually believe it. They don’t want it treated like murder. They shrink from that. ➡️
So the only logical conclusion is they don’t believe it’s murder. It’s either a life same as me or it isn’t, it’s either murder or it isn’t. So if it isn’t, what is it? It’s their logical unspoken knowledge that an 8 week foetus isn’t the same as a pregnant woman. ➡️
If it isn’t a person with the same rights, then it shouldn’t be treated the same in the constitution. It’s that simple. You can’t pick a little from column a and a bit from column b. ➡️
I wasn’t trolling, I was genuinely interested in how the justify this inconsistency. Mainly I got sidestepping and whataboutery. Oh, i forgot one, “these poor ignorant women don’t know what they’re doing” ➡️
Over half of the women that traveled to the UK from Ireland in 2016 were already parents. They don’t have an abortion because they don’t know what they’re doing. They get an abortion because they need one and they know exactly what they’re doing. ➡️
I suppose at this stage I shouldn’t be surprised about the logical inconsistencies in their campaign. Look at how the antichoicers now use the PLDPA as a shiny example of how we already have all we need. ➡️
Never forget how hard they fought against that. Never forget how they called the PLDPA “abortion until birth”. They wouldn’t “rest until this abortion law is overturned”. That was 2013. ➡️
Now I see that some are saying we should allow for the “hard cases”. FFA. Maybe rape (although no one has yet come up with a way of doing what without revictimizing the pregnant person without a free access window). ➡️
Some are even lying on doorsteps saying that our government could legislate for those hard cases without repeal. I cannot stress enough that this is a BLATANT lie. ➡️
They lie about “loving both” then release retain ads with men and babies, or floating foetuses. Where is the woman. Look at the abuse that they have leveled at @TFMRIRE or @NursepollyRgn on the @ireland account. They *dont* care about women. ➡️
They don’t care about children either. There are 4000 homeless children on our streets. In this case “they” are these vulture groups that claim to be pro life but disappear until the mention of abortion then disappear again. ➡️
Remember that neither the state nor the church believe in life from conception in practice. The state won’t give you a death certificate for a miscarriage. The church won’t give you a funeral. Hell they used to tell people unbaptised babies went to purgatory. ➡️
So, when they’re on your doorstep, ask them the hard questions. Demand answers. Because they’re happy to keep putting us in hard situations with no support. This is our chance to change things. It may be our only chance. Please vote #Together4Yes. #repealThe8th #8thref.
When they say they don’t trust women or doctors, ask them do they not trust themselves? Ask them is the only reason they had kids because they couldn’t abort them? Their inconsistencies know no bounds. #prolifelies
There an entire Facebook thread on this by the way with like 600 comments in the last 24 hours, that’s where most of these observations have come from. I won’t link it publicly because unfortunately it’s littered with graphic images and abuse. I have receipts though.
Grrr, I know I know, never ending thread sorry, but not only do they not “love both” they actively seek to undermine them. #lovebothmyarse
So who to trust? A pregnant person that has considered every option available to them and their circumstances? A doctor who spends their life caring for mothers and children? Or an antichoicer that doesn’t even have a consistent position? I know who I trust. #trustwomen #8thref

• • •

Missing some Tweet in this thread? You can try to force a refresh

Keep Current with Hazel and baby! 🪴🐩🧶

Hazel and baby! 🪴🐩🧶 Profile picture

Stay in touch and get notified when new unrolls are available from this author!

Read all threads

This Thread may be Removed Anytime!

PDF

Twitter may remove this content at anytime! Save it as PDF for later use!

Try unrolling a thread yourself!

how to unroll video
  1. Follow @ThreadReaderApp to mention us!

2. From a Twitter thread mention us with a keyword "unroll"
@threadreaderapp unroll

Practice here first or read more on our help page!

More from @Hazel_ok

May 30, 2018
In today’s “how are people this dumb” thread I’d like to address the vague legal threats that have been popping up in my mentions regarding “being on a list” and “GDPR”. #repealshield @repeal_shield ➡️
Yes love, you are on a list. It’s called a block list. It’s one of twitters core functionalities. Wow, look here I can even see and manage my own block list from within the app! 🤓 Now, you’re hardly complaining about someone using a choice to block ya are ya? ➡️
“I don’t care who you block you can’t share your block list like that” Au contraire my ignorant friend, that is also a functionality of Twitter- the ability to export and import block lists. help.twitter.com/en/using-twitt… ➡️
Read 17 tweets
May 24, 2018
So, here is the long promised @repeal_shield block list overview. I know I've been promising it a while, but the list grew so rapidly and I'm never to the data analysis stuff so it took much longer than expected. #RepealShield
Firstly, this analysis is not based on the full block list as it currently stands. There are currently over 16,000 on the list - this analysis is based on the last data dump from a few days ago so that's 13,474 users.
Now, we're seen some absolutely odious users. Some not just actively pushing abuse and misinformation, but also breaking the Twitter rules (e.g. fake political party accounts.) So, unsurprisingly, some accounts have since been suspended, about 2.42% of all blocked accounts.
Read 18 tweets
May 9, 2018
A quick thread on the use of mental health by antichoicers, and why it’s both harmful and wrong. Mental health is just as important as physical health. Sadly this is something that we’re ignored in this country for too long, and it’s still under resourced. #8thref #together4yes
Antis are claiming that abortion will basically be widespread and a free for all if it’s allowed on mental health grounds. This is insulting not only to women who need abortions, but also further stigmatizes mental health. ➡️
I see a “fact” being thrown around by antis is that “97% of all UK abortions are on mental health grounds”. Yes, 97% of UK abortions are on health grounds. Yes, the majority of these are mental rather than physical health. But it’s misleading to state that this will happen here.
Read 22 tweets
Mar 17, 2018
So you might have heard that Facebook has suspended #CambridgeAnalytica and Strategic Communication Laboratories (SCL) for fraudulent use of #data extending back to 2015. newsroom.fb.com/news/2018/03/s… Here's how to check your privacy and ad settings on @facebook. A thread.
Anyone that uses Facebook has probably given permission to an app at some stage. Maybe you use FB to sign into other sites, or you wanted to see some future predictions for fun. That's grand, but they retain access to your data even after you stop using them. Here's how to review
First go to your drop down menu & click Settings. Then click Apps. Review these carefully. For e.g. I use Kickstarter and 9gag frequently so those are grand, but see the ones like Klout and Giveaway widget? I'll want to remove permissions for those, even if only I can see posts.
Read 19 tweets

Did Thread Reader help you today?

Support us! We are indie developers!

This site is made by just two indie developers on a laptop doing marketing, support and development! Read more about the story.

Become a Premium Member ($3/month or $30/year) and get exclusive features!

Become Premium

Don't want to be a Premium member but still want to support us?

Make a small donation by buying us coffee ($5) or help with server cost ($10)

Donate via Paypal

Or Donate anonymously using crypto!

Ethereum

0xfe58350B80634f60Fa6Dc149a72b4DFbc17D341E copy

Bitcoin

3ATGMxNzCUFzxpMCHL5sWSt4DVtS8UqXpi copy

Thank you for your support!

Follow Us on Twitter!

:(